A Gas Safety Check includes all of the checks and tests to ensure the appliance is safe to operate, for example:
- It is correctly set and adjusted to ensure the gas is burning correctly
- It is of a type suitable for the room in which it is located
- It is physically stable, securely fitted and properly connected to the gas pipework
- There is an adequate and permanent air supply suitable for the appliance type installed
- Any flues or chimneys are operating correctly
- All safety devices function correctly
- If appropriate, an analysis of the combustion exhaust gases to ensure the appliance is burning the gas safely
A Service includes all of the above checks & inspection and/or cleaning of the appliance as specified and detailed in the appliance manufacturer’s instructions.
Unsafe gas appliances can produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage. Carbon Monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of gas. This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or if vents are blocked. Carbon Monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in the gas and it replaces oxygen in your bloodstream. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die. Even small amounts of the gas can cause Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and long term effects can include paralysis and brain damage.
We supply & fit Carbon Monoxide Detectors with a minimum of 7 years battery life, which all comply to BS EN50291. It is advisable to have a Carbon Monoxide Detector fitted in any room with a gas appliance installed. Carbon Monoxide Detectors will alert you to the presence of the poisonous gas in your property. Although no substitute for having your appliances serviced and checked regularly, fitting a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your property is strongly recommended as a second line of defence.
For more information visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk