Electrical Installation Condition Report
An inspection and series of tests to make sure your electrical installation continues to conform to the national safety standard. An Electrical Installation Condition Report will reveal if any of your electrical circuits or equipment are overloaded and therefore be unsafe to use.
The Electrical Installation Condition report Edinburgh (EICR Edinburgh) will also uncover any potential electric shock risks or fire hazards, identify any defective electrical work and also highlight any lack of earthing or bonding conductors.
Within a domestic environment you must have your main gas supply and main water supply earthed and connected into your consumer unit / fuse board. The report also provides a timescale of urgency on which remedial action should be taken. The test does not include any repair to the electrical system. Once you have the report you can budget for remedial work or additional investigation.
These reports can also be useful for determining the condition of an electrical system before purchasing a property. Tests are also carried out on wiring and fixed electrical equipment to check that it is safe. A schedule of circuits will also be provided, which is invaluable for a property.
The inspection checks & includes all of the following:
- The adequacy of earthing and bonding.
- The suitability of the switch and control gear. For example, an old fusebox with a wooden back, cast-iron switches, or a mixture of both will need replacing.
- The serviceability of switches, sockets and light fittings. All of these may need replacing: older round-pin sockets, round light switches, cables with fabric coating hanging from ceiling roses to light fittings, black switches and sockets mounted in skirting boards.
- The type of wiring system and its condition. For example, cables coated in black rubber were phased out in the 1960s, likewise cables coated in lead or fabric are even older and may well need replacing (modern cables use safer pvc insulation).
- That residual current devices are used for sockets that may be used with outdoor electrical equipment.
- The presence of adequate identification and notices.
- The extent of any wear and tear, damage or other deterioration.
- The changes in use of the premises which have led to, or may lead to, problematic wiring.
Gary and his First Gas team have undertaken gas safety checks, boiler installation, plumbing services and PAT tests for a number of our properties in Edinburgh. Work has been completed on time, in a professional manner and to a good standard. We would have no hesitation in recommending First Gas Services to landlords, tenants, homeowners and the like.
Eric & Nicola Wardle Private Customer/Landlord
I’ve been using First Gas Services for a few years & wouldn’t look elsewhere. Reliable, trustworthy & know their stuff. Their prices are competitive.
Tim Dale Private Customer/Landlord
After several years of using expensive & inconsistent plumbing tradesmen, a friend recommended First Gas Services. After providing a competitive quote before carrying out any work, they complete jobs to a very high standard, & always on time. They’ve also helped us out at very short notice on at least three occasions. We wouldn’t use any other company & wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Gary & his team.
Gavin Weir Private Customer/Landlord
I have used First Gas Services for both myself & my elderly mother, I have found them to be very professional, prompt, & friendly. Even with the smallest of problems I was treated with respect, nothing seems to be a hassle. I have no hesitation in recommending them.
Deborah Hill Private Customer/Landlord
We have been using First Gas Services for over a year and have been very impressed with their high level of service. Their behind the scenes administration & communication is excellent, which is where many trades companies fall down. They schedule visits within hours of us requesting them, turn up when they should, communicate back on issues found & quote for work immediately and invoice as soon as the job is complete. I can also trust them completely to manage difficult situations with tenants.
Rick McCann At Home In Edinburgh Ltd
Gary and the guys at First Gas Services have completed well in excess of 1000 gas and plumbing related jobs on our behalf over recent years. The whole team are a true reflection of Gary’s commitment to ensuring service satisfaction. It is vital to us that communications, reports, estimates and invoices are timely and thorough. With First Gas we can trust that this is the norm. I would recommend the team at every opportunity!
David Paton Scotia Property Services Ltd